Just a collection of totally random horse facts. All of this was sourced online, so I don’t know if its all totally true. Here’s to learning something new today!
1. Leonardo da Vinci liked to draw horses.
2. The first cloned horse was a Haflinger mare in Italy in 2003.
3. Until the 1960?s Dartmoor ponies were used to escort prisoners from local prisons while they were on outside duties.
4. The word chivalry comes from cheval the French word for horse.
5. Chariot racing was the first Olympic sport in 680 B.C.
6. The Dubai World Cup is 6 million dollars, the richest horse race purse in the world.
7. Horses have been found in cave paintings that date back to around 15000 B.C.
8. According to Arabian folklore chestnut horses are the fastest and bravest of all colors.
9. The four horses of the apocalypse are said to signify the end of the world; conquest on a white horse, famine on a black horse, war on a red horse and plague on a pale horse.
10. A small indent in a horses skin (usually on the neck or shoulder) is called a prophet’s mark and is considered good luck.
11. Mongolian tribes were the first to domesticate the horse, about 5000 years ago.
12. Legend has it that the Arabian horse was created by Allah, ‘out of a handful of the southern wind‘.
13. The oldest horse on record lived to the age of 62 and died in 1822.
14. Giant white horses are carved in chalk on several hillsides in England. Some date back hundreds of years – folklore says that when King Arthur of he Round Table returns to the throne, one of the chalk horses would get up and dance.
15. In Greek mythology Apollo delivered the sun and the moon to the sky every day in his horse drawn chariot